• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatting in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DAnverQueen

Ohio

Before attempting to squat, I figured I'd first make sure I'm going about it in a way that keeps me out of legal trouble. I understand that in Ohio I can't have squatters rights or adverse possession for 21 years, but I don't plan on being here that long. I more need to know that if what I'm doing is illegal and what rights, if any, I have.
I have found a property that I believe to be owned by the bank. It used to be a bait shop, but after closing several years ago it has remained empty and unused. There are no posted signs or no trespassing signs that I have seen, so I decided to check it out and the front door was unlocked. Interestingly, there is another squatter in a house a little ways off from the bait shop. He is a university professor and has lived there for the last 5 years without anyone bothering him about it. He has looked for somebody he could pay rent to, and seemingly can't find anyone. Anyhow, under these circumstances, if I move in am I breaking any laws? Also, can the bank or person who owns the property just come take my possessions and throw me out, or if I'm asked to leave will I have an allotted amount of time to do so?
Thank you for any input. Being in college and being an art major, finding a nice open space to live and work on projects is hard to do!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Yes, you would be trespassing.
Yes, unlike some other states, just stepping on the premises is criminal tresspass.

ORC 2911.21 CRIMINAL TRESSPASS
(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly enter or remain on the land or premises of another;​

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well you won't just be thrown out. You will be arrested and given a place to stay. For quite a bit of time. Of course your possessions won't be waiting for you afterwards.

Just Blue

Ohio

Before attempting to squat, I figured I'd first make sure I'm going about it in a way that keeps me out of legal trouble. I understand that in Ohio I can't have squatters rights or adverse possession for 21 years, but I don't plan on being here that long. I more need to know that if what I'm doing is illegal and what rights, if any, I have.
I have found a property that I believe to be owned by the bank. It used to be a bait shop, but after closing several years ago it has remained empty and unused. There are no posted signs or no trespassing signs that I have seen, so I decided to check it out and the front door was unlocked. Interestingly, there is another squatter in a house a little ways off from the bait shop. He is a university professor and has lived there for the last 5 years without anyone bothering him about it. He has looked for somebody he could pay rent to, and seemingly can't find anyone. Anyhow, under these circumstances, if I move in am I breaking any laws? Also, can the bank or person who owns the property just come take my possessions and throw me out, or if I'm asked to leave will I have an allotted amount of time to do so?
Thank you for any input. Being in college and being an art major, finding a nice open space to live and work on projects is hard to do!
Pay rent to a LL that will provide "a nice open space to live and work". Not that hard to do. :rolleyes:

DAnverQueen

Thank you for the input. I'll find a way to contact the owner and see if something can't be worked out rent wise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">