• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stabbed In the Back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

da5447

What is the name of your state? Florida
In October of 1997 one month before my wedding. I found out that my aunt was separating from her husband and could not afford to pay for her Condo. This Condo was purchased in 1996 with a down payment of $20,000.00 (the money was given by grandfather) the total sale price was $85,000.00. My grandfather and aunt are both on the propery deed. My husband and I spoke to both my aunt and my grandfather about taking over the property. My grandfather and aunt both agreed that if my husband and I could pay the three months of back payments due and continue paying for the property it was ours. Within one week we paid them the money and moved in. In addition my aunt could not afford to move out and my father gave her money he had planned to give me as a wedding gift so that she could move out (money which was supposed to be repaid but never was). Five years have past and last year my grandfather changed his mind & said that he would sign over the deed under the condition that my father and my name would be used to protect me in case of a divorce (which I do not agree with). However I convinced my husband that it was ok! I prepared a deed for him this month because we are thinking of selling the property. He refused to sign and now says that he never promised anything and that I am just renting. I have been paying for five years directly to the mortgage co. & to the HOA and have made over $10,000.00 in improvements on the property. Do I have any rights and what can I do? I offered to purchase the property from him and he said it wasnt for sale. He has not threatened to throw me out but it maybe a matter of time.

HomeGuru

da5447 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
In October of 1997 one month before my wedding. I found out that my aunt was separating from her husband and could not afford to pay for her Condo. This Condo was purchased in 1996 with a down payment of $20,000.00 (the money was given by grandfather) the total sale price was $85,000.00. My grandfather and aunt are both on the propery deed. My husband and I spoke to both my aunt and my grandfather about taking over the property. My grandfather and aunt both agreed that if my husband and I could pay the three months of back payments due and continue paying for the property it was ours. Within one week we paid them the money and moved in. In addition my aunt could not afford to move out and my father gave her money he had planned to give me as a wedding gift so that she could move out (money which was supposed to be repaid but never was). Five years have past and last year my grandfather changed his mind & said that he would sign over the deed under the condition that my father and my name would be used to protect me in case of a divorce (which I do not agree with). However I convinced my husband that it was ok! I prepared a deed for him this month because we are thinking of selling the property. He refused to sign and now says that he never promised anything and that I am just renting. I have been paying for five years directly to the mortgage co. & to the HOA and have made over $10,000.00 in improvements on the property. Do I have any rights and what can I do? I offered to purchase the property from him and he said it wasnt for sale. He has not threatened to throw me out but it maybe a matter of time.
**A: hire an attorney fast.
If you hired one when you first gave the money, you would not have this problem today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">