• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

still bugged

• Thread starter tiredofbeingalandlord
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tiredofbeingalandlord

Just can't seem to quite let go and have a quick question. Renters owe for September rent, late fees and a few other things. They have verbally told me they are leaving on Sunday, but have not given me written notice. Is there any way to still obtain valid service on them if I were to file suit for money owing after they leave? Obviously, they will not be able to be served personally, since they'll be gone and they are refusing to give me a fowarding address, so since I have no written notice they are leaving, is there still any way to serve them, either through the newspaper or posting at the property. What I'd like to be able to do is at least ding their credit report for the money they still owe me, and don't know if there is a way to do that. Or maybe I could just report their delinquincy to the credit bureau after 30 days? Is that possible? Any ideas or thoughts?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tiredofbeingalandlord:
Just can't seem to quite let go and have a quick question. Renters owe for September rent, late fees and a few other things. They have verbally told me they are leaving on Sunday, but have not given me written notice. Is there any way to still obtain valid service on them if I were to file suit for money owing after they leave? Obviously, they will not be able to be served personally, since they'll be gone and they are refusing to give me a fowarding address, so since I have no written notice they are leaving, is there still any way to serve them, either through the newspaper or posting at the property. What I'd like to be able to do is at least ding their credit report for the money they still owe me, and don't know if there is a way to do that. Or maybe I could just report their delinquincy to the credit bureau after 30 days? Is that possible? Any ideas or thoughts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are going to sue, they have to be located for service of the complaint. You should do those things that you mentioned. You could also turn the case over to a professional collector and they skip trace etc. They take 40% of what they collect but worth it to get 60% or something rather than 100% of nothing.

T

tiredofbeingalandlorcd

I contacted a credit bureau and they told me I cannot as a landlord report late rent payments. The only way I can post something to their credit report would be to actually file an eviction proceeding. And since they are leaving this weekend, that is not really possible. If I do decide to file some type of action against them, even if it is in Small claims court for the amount of money they are leaving owing me, I do understand from you now that I would have to have them personally served. But can you file a small claims action against someone who has left the state?
When you say I "should do the things I mentioned", I'm not sure which things you are referring to that I had mentioned. Thanks again for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">