• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A stranger says his property can't be sold because it's in the name of my LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neve1064

A stranger says his property can't be sold because it's in the name of my LLC
Florida State

A stranger called me today. It turns out, I own an LLC name that was once owned by him. It was an inactive name when I found the LLC name in the sunbiz.org data base. When I took ownership of it, it was was reactivated.

Here's the kicker: this stranger placed a property in the name of the LLC in 2009. He let the LLC lapse into dissolution by not paying the annual registration fee and/or filing the required annual reports for the LLC name.
He wants to sell the property now and can't because technically my LLC owns it! Before the conversation went further, I told him I had to take another call. He's called me several times back since and wants me to help him. He seems disparate. He said he needs a quit Claim Deed. I'm confused. A quit Claim Deed has to do with real property meaning bricks and mortar. Why would I need to sign a quit claim deed?

FlyingRon

The common use of quitclaim applies to REAL PROPERTY (that doesn't necessarily mean bricks and mortar, it could just be vacant land). It just disclaims any ownership interest (without representation of whether such exists) from the grantor to the grantee.

However, similarly disclaiming interest in other property is also valid. While it's technically not a quitclaim deed, the principal is similar. It's frequently done when there's a divorce or something that might make the appearance of an ownership interest that needs to be removed. Have his attorney draft the release of interest and if you're uncomfortable with it, run it buy your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">