• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"strawman" rules?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DukeArgos

What is the name of your state? NC

we are discussing changes to our neighborhood covenants and the term "strawman" rules keeps comming up.

I can't seem to find this term in a legal dictionary -- what does it mean?

thanks!!!

HomeGuru

DukeArgos said:
What is the name of your state? NC

we are discussing changes to our neighborhood covenants and the term "strawman" rules keeps comming up.

I can't seem to find this term in a legal dictionary -- what does it mean?

thanks!!!
**A: Why it's the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.

DukeArgos

HomeGuru,

It did seem kind of a strange question i know... Althought your answer was funny, i'd like to know what is really meant by "strawman" (if you know...) -- example: legal slang for something?

When i do a web search on "strawman rules" i get several hits for legal documents. One is this:
http://www.psc.state.wv.us/elecrest/200005/recom0500090.pdf

it speaks of a "strawman" draft... But i don't understand what it is or what is meant by the term strawman...

anyone know what this means???

If it means something different for covenants -- that's where i'm interested in its usage...
thanks...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

At one time, a "strawman" conveyance was the only way a joint tenant could unilaterally sever a real property joint tenancy and still retain his or her ownership interest: One joint tenant conveyed his or her interest to a third person (so-called "strawman"), followed by a reconveyance back to the conveying joint tenant. The strawman conveyance severed the real property joint tenancy as to all of the former joint tenants, creating a tenancy in common among them.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">