• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(Student Seeking Help) Land Deemed Undevelopable and trying to reclaim expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LandesMichael

This is a school project in which I am to research and negotiate a settlement for expenses that were incurred for a feasibility study on land deemed undevelopable. Your insight is greatly appreciated!
I am the “client” who was looking to purchase a piece of waterfront property to develop. During the feasibility study the engineer using Arial photos and topographical maps from the past 40 years was able to determine the erosion rate was minimal .50ft / year. Based on a favorable erosion rate we proceeded with the permit process and accruing over 20k in out of pocket expenses. Nearing a year later following the initial erosion study and still waiting for the permits the neighbor protests and questioned the original erosion rate report, so an additional erosion study was perform which showed the erosion rate to be higher than anticipated and that over the last year the land was no longer developable. Given the investment to find the property was no longer developable what as the client am I able to do to reclaim some if not all the expenses from the “owner” for the feasibility study?

Initial erosion report 1100.00
Additional Follow up work 3000.00
Soil Stability Report 2100.00
Wetland Study 2500.00
Habitat Survey 2500.00
Permits 1650.00
Travel & Lodging 2400.00
Plan & Profile Survey 6000.00
Attorney’s Fees 5000.00
Total $20,250.00

Mass_Shyster

Ask the owner really nicely to reimburse you.

Based solely on what you've written, the owner has no liability for your spending.

tranquility

Homework. U.S. law only.

Under what theory does the "owner" have any liability? If anyone, talk to the person who made the first erosion study.

HomeGuru

This is a school project in which I am to research and negotiate a settlement for expenses that were incurred for a feasibility study on land deemed undevelopable. Your insight is greatly appreciated!
I am the “client” who was looking to purchase a piece of waterfront property to develop. During the feasibility study the engineer using Arial photos and topographical maps from the past 40 years was able to determine the erosion rate was minimal .50ft / year. Based on a favorable erosion rate we proceeded with the permit process and accruing over 20k in out of pocket expenses. Nearing a year later following the initial erosion study and still waiting for the permits the neighbor protests and questioned the original erosion rate report, so an additional erosion study was perform which showed the erosion rate to be higher than anticipated and that over the last year the land was no longer developable. Given the investment to find the property was no longer developable what as the client am I able to do to reclaim some if not all the expenses from the “owner” for the feasibility study?

Initial erosion report 1100.00
Additional Follow up work 3000.00
Soil Stability Report 2100.00
Wetland Study 2500.00
Habitat Survey 2500.00
Permits 1650.00
Travel & Lodging 2400.00
Plan & Profile Survey 6000.00
Attorney’s Fees 5000.00
Total $20,250.00

**A: I reviewed your 9 items and to answer your question, you can claim zero.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">