• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subtenant Blues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sub-dude

I heard through the grapvine that I am living as a subtenant illegally. Is there any way for me to determine if that is true? I cannot get a hold of the landlord, since I cannot obtain a phone number for them. What can I do to find out the truth, and if it's true, what rights do I have?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sub-dude:
I heard through the grapvine that I am living as a subtenant illegally. Is there any way for me to determine if that is true? I cannot get a hold of the landlord, since I cannot obtain a phone number for them. What can I do to find out the truth, and if it's true, what rights do I have?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who do you pay rent to and who do the other tenants pay rent to? Go to the real property tax office and look up the contact information as to where the real estate tax bills are sent to. The tax bills are normally sent to the owner or the management company.

Another way is to ask the tenants directly if you are an illegal tenant and for the owners phone number and address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">