• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

subtenant/roommate trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shan

I live in CA. At the end of August I signed a month-to-month rental agreement which states that I am the primary tenant and it contained the names of three other people renting with me. As primary tenant, I write the monthly check and everyone else gives me the money. When we, the people renting with me (roommates or subtenants?)and I, verbally agreed on getting this house together they said they were planning on a long term rental or at least a year. We've been there since Sept. and in the beginning of Oct. two of them (a married couple) revealed plans of leaving in two months.

My question is, as the primary tenant, do I have any right to give them notice to leave in exactly two months? I'm concerned that they or their possesions will linger around without my being exactly sure of when I have to pay the entire rent.

Also, what are our (all the tenants) obligations to the landlord?

Where can I research this subject more thoroughly?

Thank you for your consideration.

T

Tracey

You are their landlord. Give them written notice to be out & return their keys by x/x/xx. Then start showing the place to find new tenants. I assume they paid you damage deposits. Do inspections & send the refund/itemized list of deductions within 30 days of them leaving. Be sure to let them know the date/time of inspection so they can be there. I hope you kept their deposits in a separate account. If you didn't, open a dedicated savings account now. DO NOT mix their deposits in with your own money. That way leads to ruin......

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited October 08, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">