• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suicide not divulged prior to home purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaltel

We purchased an older home in Virginia around July of this year. The seller used the property as a rental property and the prior tennant was a long term one of 7 years.
From what we understand initially the tennant was interested in purchasing the property. But we were told that the tennants husband "suddenly" died and the wife decided to "quickly" move out and get something smaller.
We have a cat and were having difficulty with her adjusting to where we put her litter box (in the garage). We installed a kitty door for her to pass from the house to the garage. She knows how to use the door, but would not.
My husband was talking with our next door neighbor (an elderly lady who has lived in the neighborhood for quite some time.)about the cat troubles and she divulged to us that the tennants husband actually commited suicide in the garage of the house(carbon monixide death).
Needless to say we are shaken. Legally shouldnt any of this been told to us prior to the sale of the house? I am not sure if the real estate agent was advised, but I'm sure the seller knew of the situation that occurred on her property.

T

TimC

I have no legal credentials to my name, however I have bought and sold a number of properties over the last decade or so.

In my memory bank I can recall a statement in New York State law that requires the seller to reveal such unusual activities in a house's known history.

I will do my best to see if I can find the statement that covers this type of scenario. I have a call into an agent that I KNOW sold just such a house a year or two ago, and I am quite sure he will be aware of the legalities.

Tim

J

jaltel

Any info you can come up with will be well appreciated!!! Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TimC:
I have no legal credentials to my name, however I have bought and sold a number of properties over the last decade or so.

In my memory bank I can recall a statement in New York State law that requires the seller to reveal such unusual activities in a house's known history.

I will do my best to see if I can find the statement that covers this type of scenario. I have a call into an agent that I KNOW sold just such a house a year or two ago, and I am quite sure he will be aware of the legalities.

Tim
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaltel:
We purchased an older home in Virginia around July of this year. The seller used the property as a rental property and the prior tennant was a long term one of 7 years.
From what we understand initially the tennant was interested in purchasing the property. But we were told that the tennants husband "suddenly" died and the wife decided to "quickly" move out and get something smaller.
We have a cat and were having difficulty with her adjusting to where we put her litter box (in the garage). We installed a kitty door for her to pass from the house to the garage. She knows how to use the door, but would not.
My husband was talking with our next door neighbor (an elderly lady who has lived in the neighborhood for quite some time.)about the cat troubles and she divulged to us that the tennants husband actually commited suicide in the garage of the house(carbon monixide death).
Needless to say we are shaken. Legally shouldnt any of this been told to us prior to the sale of the house? I am not sure if the real estate agent was advised, but I'm sure the seller knew of the situation that occurred on her property.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ask your real estate agent for a copy of the real property disclosure laws in your State. Many states do not deem a suicide a material fact that must be disclosed.

LegalBeagle

Strange as it sounds, but suicide is sometimes deemed as a peaceful way to die and therefore not worth a mention. Now, had the guy been hacked to death with an axe and that had not be disclosed, then you might be able to have them build a new cat house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">