• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Survey monuments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blaze57

I live in Pa. My neighbor behind my home has had a survey done and the crew placed concrete monuments 4 inches above grade every thirty feet along the property line. I have seen monuments placed on the corners of propertys but not every thirty feet. I was never notified that they would be installing them and half the monument is on my property. It is raised above the ground 4 inches and could be a tripping hazard could i be liable? Can i make them reinstall them flush ?

HomeGuru

Why don't you talk to the surveyors and ask them. Usually the markers are sprayed with orange/red paint or have red/yellow flags tied to them so they would not be a hazard.

B

blaze57

I did speek to the survey crew, they stated that they normally place the concrete markers flush in the ground and normaly on the corners. They said the property owner requested that they be placed above ground and painted. I don't understand how they can do this with out my permission, it is on my property to. I would have to get a permit and permission to erect a fence on the line so why don't they have to .

HomeGuru

No permit is needed becasue the building code does not deem surveyor monuments to be a structure that requires a building permit.
If the markers are really on your property, tell the owner to remove them.
In my opinion, you are making a big deal out of nothing.

Last edited:
B

blaze57

You need to no the whole story, I installed a patio in the spring and the neighbor behind me had problems with my neighbor so he had his property surveyed. After the survey he contacted the zoning officer and complained about the set back of my patio. Are set back is 15 feet from the property line. A concret area of my patio falls 4 inches over the set back which is on my property anyway. The neighbor is insisting the zoning officer make me remove it . This stems from a problem between two other neighbors and now he is comming after me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">