• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax implications on quick claim deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paulgiovanini

My brother, sister and I received a quick claim deed from our parents for their house and 2 additional lots in 1999. My parents lived in the house under a life estate until 2006 when our mother was the last to pass away. We have just sold the house and the 2 additional lots (2008) and would like to know the federal income tax implications. My parents were given the house by my mother's mother in 1945 and my parents lived in the house all those years. We sold the house and lots for a combined price of $425,000.

seniorjudge

By the way, it's quit claim deed.

Stand by for tax experts, but I don't think it matters what kind of deed it is (at least for tax purposes).

tranquility

You will pay capital gains on the amount realised less your basis. Your basis will be very low (amount paid in 1945) unless substantial improvements have been made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">