• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TAX MISINFORMATION

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TAMOLAMA

i BOUGHT PROPERTY THAT WAS PREVIOUSLY RENTAL
I WAS TOLD MY TAXES WOULD GO DOWN I 2001 BECAUSE I WOULD THEN BE ABLE TO CLAIM HOMESTEAD. BUT THE AMOUNT OF TAXES I OWE FOR 2000 WERE ALL WRONG. THIS ALL HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH CLOSING DATES AND THE HOMESTEADING RULES. I'M PAYING THE NON HOMESTEAD TAXES EVEN THOUGH I LIVE IN THE HOME. NONE OF THIS WAS PROPERLY STATED BEFORE CLOSING, DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE. I WOULD HAVE NEGOTIATED BETTER GIVEN THIS INFORMATION UP FRONT. I LIVE IN MICHIGAN

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TAMOLAMA:
i BOUGHT PROPERTY THAT WAS PREVIOUSLY RENTAL
I WAS TOLD MY TAXES WOULD GO DOWN I 2001 BECAUSE I WOULD THEN BE ABLE TO CLAIM HOMESTEAD. BUT THE AMOUNT OF TAXES I OWE FOR 2000 WERE ALL WRONG. THIS ALL HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH CLOSING DATES AND THE HOMESTEADING RULES. I'M PAYING THE NON HOMESTEAD TAXES EVEN THOUGH I LIVE IN THE HOME. NONE OF THIS WAS PROPERLY STATED BEFORE CLOSING, DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE. I WOULD HAVE NEGOTIATED BETTER GIVEN THIS INFORMATION UP FRONT. I LIVE IN MICHIGAN
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who "told" and provided this information to you? Did a real estate attorney, your real estate agent, the real estate agent for the seller, the escrow officer, an employee from the County real property tax office, State worker etc? Do you have anything in writing? I would think that if the information was so important to you that you would have conducted your own research and had the issues confirmed in writing.

You may have recourse against the party or parties that gave you the incorrect information, if the party or parties were in a position to provide the info and you relied on what they told you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">