• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taxes and ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

guidayne

What is the name of your state? texas

the taxes have not been paid on my father's estate. i have made a payment plan to catch them up and avoid forclosure. i dont expect help from my siblings, but if i must pay all the taxes what can i do to assume ownership of the property? there was no will when he died; my sister is living on the one improved lot but for some reason has let the taxes slide. The other 2 lots are in the grandchildren's names but are in arrears also. when i get these taxes paid, what's my next step?

HomeGuru

guidayne said:
What is the name of your state? texas

the taxes have not been paid on my father's estate. i have made a payment plan to catch them up and avoid forclosure. i dont expect help from my siblings, but if i must pay all the taxes what can i do to assume ownership of the property? there was no will when he died; my sister is living on the one improved lot but for some reason has let the taxes slide. The other 2 lots are in the grandchildren's names but are in arrears also. when i get these taxes paid, what's my next step?
**A: where is your probate attorney and what is the status of probate?

G

guidayne

There is no probate attorney, nor money for attorney's fees as far as my salary goes. Paying the taxes will be straining past the limit of my resourses. Is having one absolutely necessary?

HomeGuru

In your first post you asked, "what's my next step."
A: The next step is to hire an attorney to start probate action.

Then in your later post you ask, "is one (an attorney) absolutely necessary".
A: Of course not. Do nothing and let the property go into foreclosure.

G

guidayne

i do thank you for your advice. the first thing i stated was that i was already taking steps to get the taxes paid. do nothing is not the option chosen from the beginning. the question was is an attorney absolutely necessary for assuming ownership. at any rate, the advice and the courtesy were free. thanks again.

HomeGuru

guidayne said:
i do thank you for your advice. the first thing i stated was that i was already taking steps to get the taxes paid. do nothing is not the option chosen from the beginning. the question was is an attorney absolutely necessary for assuming ownership. at any rate, the advice and the courtesy were free. thanks again.
**A: An attorney is not absolutely necessary for anything except maybe the basis of some good jokes.
There are thousands of posts on this website whereby the writer was not intelligent enough to use an attorney and have asked for help to clear up their scewed up messes.
Please use common sense. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">