• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Left

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thomasrussell

My parents own a three family house in Ct and one of their Tenants left about a month ago. They gave them the keys back but they left their cats and some of their furniture behind. My parents call animal control to see if they would remove the cats and they told her that they can't. Since she left some of her stuff in the apartment, they told my parents she techically still lives there and they can't remove the cats or the rest of her stuff. They said she has to be evicted. So what rights do my parents have now?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thomasrussell:
My parents own a three family house in Ct and one of their Tenants left about a month ago. They gave them the keys back but they left their cats and some of their furniture behind. My parents call animal control to see if they would remove the cats and they told her that they can't. Since she left some of her stuff in the apartment, they told my parents she techically still lives there and they can't remove the cats or the rest of her stuff. They said she has to be evicted. So what rights do my parents have now?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The day that the tenant returned the keys is the day that the tenant vacated the premises and abandoned the cat and furniture. Check the State law regarding the time period but most States do not go past 30-45 days. Since the tenant vacated, there is no one to evict. Therefore, you can get rid of the cat and all furniture and personal belongings, provided the legal time period for abandonement has elapsed.

Rule #1: do not ask L/T questions to animal control office. Dog gone it, it's the wrong answer. It's not the cats meow.

Rule #2: do not teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">