• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant rights regarding room mates and pets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Astoria

Hello,
I live in Astoria, NY. in at three family dwelling. I don't have an official NYC lease. I signed an agreement drawn up by my landlord. The apartment is a two bedroom. Initially I moved in alone. There was no questions about whether I intend to continue to live alone or possibly get a room mate later. There is no limitations in the contract regarding this matter. After a while I decided to get a room mate. Over the course of three years living in the premises I have had three room mates. My landlord is now telling me that if I get another room mate that this one will have to be the last. Also if I take another room mate she is going to increase my rent 40%. What rights do each of us have? Also, the contract states "no pets". Currently my girlfriend is living with me and she has a dog. What are the ramifications of this?

Thanks very much.

Astoria, NY

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Astoria:
Hello,
I live in Astoria, NY. in at three family dwelling. I don't have an official NYC lease. I signed an agreement drawn up by my landlord. The apartment is a two bedroom. Initially I moved in alone. There was no questions about whether I intend to continue to live alone or possibly get a room mate later. There is no limitations in the contract regarding this matter. After a while I decided to get a room mate. Over the course of three years living in the premises I have had three room mates. My landlord is now telling me that if I get another room mate that this one will have to be the last. Also if I take another room mate she is going to increase my rent 40%. What rights do each of us have? Also, the contract states "no pets". Currently my girlfriend is living with me and she has a dog. What are the ramifications of this?

Thanks very much.

Astoria, NY
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does the agreement state with respect to roommates? Are you on a fixed lease? If not L can cancel your m/m lease based on your default for having a pet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">