• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant is two months behind on rent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Amy & Jon

I really need help. My tenant in NJ condo has not paid rent in two months. We are in the process of selling the condo at the end of her lease which is December 29,2000. Tenant wants out early and has failed to pay rent. Don't know what to do. We need money now it goes towards mortgage payments and maintenance fees. someone please respond

------------------
Amy Gramlich

ALawyer

Serve an eviction notice and get a disposses order ASAP. It varies by state and city, so I don't know how to do so in your locale in NJ. As for getting her yto pay, small claims court.

P

peter

Well #1 you have her security deposit so put that toward the unpaid rent.....

#2 LET THEM GO.... write them a letter tonight saying be out in 7 days and you wont sue them in court for non payment of rent...

Remember...YOU are selling your house.... YOU DO NOT WANT ANY MONEY FROM THE TENANTS YOU WANT POSSESSION OF THE APARTMENT.

If you ask for money they can stall the evcition proceedings.....and you can lose the sale...and THEY DO HAVE A RIGHT to stay untill the end of the lease they can say you are forcing them out!

If they are not out in 7 days then sue them for non payment and ask for POSSESSION ONLY! no rent and no legal fees...Judges will grant that a whole lot faster then if you ask for MONEY!....after all a tenant may have a good reason to withold the rent..and must have their day in court.

A

Amy & Jon

We already used some of security topay for last months rent we had no other choice. We are seeking lawyer however he seems to rush you off. Example send me the moeny and He'd take care of the rest and doesn't really listen to the facts..
ITA about getting her out of there first and more important but int he meantime we have no other icome to support mortgage payment and fees by ourselves already borrowed $1000.00 froma family member .. My husband only gets paid twice a week and we too are in a money mess with bills and such things ... another thing is she might have left on her own or/and afraid she might have damage the place... Which would also loose the sale of the place and being that we live across the country we can't jsut drive by to see if lights are on or what have you.. I do have my sister in NJ who is the manager of the place.. I don't want to contact her myself in fear of saying something wrong or damaging you know what I mean ....

------------------
Amy Gramlich

A

Amy & Jon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Amy & Jon:
We already used some of security topay for last months rent we had no other choice. We are seeking lawyer however he seems to rush you off. Example send me the moeny and He'd take care of the rest and doesn't really listen to the facts..
ITA about getting her out of there first and more important but int he meantime we have no other icome to support mortgage payment and fees by ourselves already borrowed $1000.00 froma family member .. My husband only gets paid twice a month
and we too are in a money mess with bills and such things ... another thing is she might have left on her own or/and afraid she might have damage the place... Which would also loose the sale of the place and being that we live across the country we can't jsut drive by to see if lights are on or what have you.. I do have my sister in NJ who is the manager of the place.. I don't want to contact her myself in fear of saying something wrong or damaging you know what I mean ....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Amy Gramlich

P

peter

You may not have any choice but to take some vacation and personal days from work to go there and straighten it out.

You could always knock down the selling price a couple of thousand if the new owner takes FULL responsibility of evicting the tenants.

That way the sale will go through and you wont have to deal with this anymore.

A

Amy & Jon

Thanks ummm now is this true that court will only allow certain amounts aka reasonible atterny fees? Or later can I go after her for the full amount?

------------------
Amy Gramlich

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">