• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants in Common

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vicky martinez

My mother deeded a parcel of land to my sister under a quit claim deed. The quit claim deed stated that upon and if my sister died then the heirs and assigns of the Grantees should take as tenants in tenants in common.

What exactly does this mean? My sister has one dauther. It is my understanding that under "tenants in common" the state takes 50% , which would have to be probated, and the daughter 50%.

Can you explain what "tenants in common mean". HELP.

HomeGuru

vicky martinez said:
My mother deeded a parcel of land to my sister under a quit claim deed. The quit claim deed stated that upon and if my sister died then the heirs and assigns of the Grantees should take as tenants in tenants in common.
**A: if your Sister was the only person on title, then upon her death the property would be subject to probate.
What exactly does this mean? My sister has one dauther. It is my understanding that under "tenants in common" the state takes 50% , which would have to be probated, and the daughter 50%.
**A: under TC, and depending upon the adjudication by the Probate Court, your Sis could be awarded the entire property or a percentage of interest. TC has nothing to do with the State taking a percentage.

Can you explain what "tenants in common mean". HELP.
**A: TC is just a form of holding title to real property.
I will refrain from further explanation since this website contains numerous explanations. Spend the time and do the research.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">