• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenants-in-common

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

valorie johnsto

What is the name of your state? Washington
I posted another thread, but I don't know where it went. New and all that. My mother recently passed and she quitclaimed her house and property in Washington state to me and my sisters as tenants-in-common three years ago. We are all three listed on the property at the county. The property and house are not part of the estate, as I understand it. I need to know what the definition of tenants-in-common is. Can my sisters proceed with the sale of the property without my consent or knowledge? My brother-in-law has already listed the property with a real estate agent. There are three sisters. My other two sisters both live out of state. One in Missouri, one in California. I just live up the road from the house in question. I need to be advised of my rights.

divgradcurl

Can my sisters proceed with the sale of the property without my consent or knowledge?
Yes -- but they can only sell what they actually own, which is a common interest in the house. They could sell their interests to another party, who would them be a tenant-in-common with you. They cannot sell your interest in the property without your permission, unless ordered by the court (partition).

You don't have to sell your portion if you don't want to. If they want their money out of the house, they'll either need to sell the house to you, try and sell off their interests in the property, or file an action for partition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">