• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants in Common

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skybabe66

I purchased a home with my then fiancé in 2000 and we each put $6000 down. We never occupied the home and instead leased it out. Currently, there are tenants residing there and he manages the lease and has assumed all responsibility for the maintenance and rental of the home. Since then we have split and I would like to pursue one of two options.

1. My first choice would be to assume the home and buy him out with a reasonable offer and reside there
2. Have him buy me out with a reasonable offer

Herein lies the problem. He will not talk to me so I contacted an attorney and he suggested that I write a letter. Apparently it is not a case that he would like to handle, so I would like advice on how to word a letter with the proper legal ease before pursuing a court battle.

Thank you

C

car20

send a certified letter

Send a certified letter with what you would like to happen. i would then place a date for that to occur (like 30 Days or so) i also would let him know that you will pursue selling the property to regain your original out of pocket expenses and or seek to place a lien against the property. Who' makes the payments on the mortgage, Do you receive any income from the tenants is the title in both of your names. Alot of this will depend on the anwers to these questions???? if the property is in both of your names you may have to take the issue to court, to force a sale whether it be to him to you or to another party.

HomeGuru

skybabe66 said:
I purchased a home with my then fiancé in 2000 and we each put $6000 down. We never occupied the home and instead leased it out. Currently, there are tenants residing there and he manages the lease and has assumed all responsibility for the maintenance and rental of the home. Since then we have split and I would like to pursue one of two options.

1. My first choice would be to assume the home and buy him out with a reasonable offer and reside there
2. Have him buy me out with a reasonable offer

Herein lies the problem. He will not talk to me so I contacted an attorney and he suggested that I write a letter. Apparently it is not a case that he would like to handle, so I would like advice on how to word a letter with the proper legal ease before pursuing a court battle.

Thank you
**A: just use, "if I do not receive a written response from you indicating your selected option, within 30 days of receipt of this letter, I will be forced to retain an attorney to file a partition action in District Court."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">