• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants in Common Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chewbode2

My wife owns a piece of property (house) in Florida with her three siblings. The property was willed to them when their mother died.

One of the sibilings (my wife's brother) wants to take the house and rent it out. He wants to do this, even though the other three do not want to. Is it legal for him to just rent the house out, without the other three's consent or approval?

If it is legal, is there a way to stop him from doing it anyway (lawsuit, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

HomeGuru

Chewbode2 said:
My wife owns a piece of property (house) in Florida with her three siblings. The property was willed to them when their mother died.

One of the sibilings (my wife's brother) wants to take the house and rent it out. He wants to do this, even though the other three do not want to. Is it legal for him to just rent the house out, without the other three's consent or approval?

If it is legal, is there a way to stop him from doing it anyway (lawsuit, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.
**A: do these siblings now have title to the property as instructed by the Probate Court?

C

Chewbode2

All four names are on the property deed, if that is what you are asking (sorry, I'm not very knowledgable about real estate).

HomeGuru

Ok, since the siblings are all legal owners, ALL must agree to the disposition of the property ie. rent, sell etc. If no agreement can be made suggest mediation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">