• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenants in common to sole ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ehimemikan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,
My brother and I are tenants in common for a small piece of land. My brother would like to remove his interest in the land and to give me sole ownership to land.
What documentation do I need to fill out or what I should do to get this done?

Also note that we don't have the original copy of the corporation grant deed, only a xerox copy. But I was told we could get a certified copy of it from the state.
I am not sure if this information is correct.

Would you please advise me in this matter?

Thank you very much,
Ehimemikan

OK-LL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,
My brother and I are tenants in common for a small piece of land. My brother would like to remove his interest in the land and to give me sole ownership to land.
What documentation do I need to fill out or what I should do to get this done?

Also note that we don't have the original copy of the corporation grant deed, only a xerox copy. But I was told we could get a certified copy of it from the state.
I am not sure if this information is correct.

Would you please advise me in this matter?

Thank you very much,
Ehimemikan
Your brother will need to record a Quit Claim Deed or Warranty Deed granting his interest in the property to you. If he is married, his wife should also sign the deed. You do not need a copy of the "corporation grant deed" granting the property to you. A certified copy of that document is available at the county clerk's land records office, but you do not need it. You should be able to find a state-specific QCD or WD in any stationary store or through an on-line document service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">