• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated Lease Renewal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chaos

:confused:
I lived in Las Vegas, NV for the last year. At the end of June 2000, I signed a 9 month lease renewal, COMMENCING August 1, 2000. Two weeks later, on July 10, 2000, I decided I did not want to stay; I sent a letter to the management company in NV asking them to void the 9 month renewal; I also gave 30 day notice at that time. I moved back to CA on July 24. The property is vacant now. The management company in NV says I am responsible for the time the property is vacant; up to nine months. They also refuse to give me my $1200 security deposit back. Please help me!! It seems to me that since my original lease was not up until August 1, 2000, and my renewal was not going to start until August 1, that I should have been okay by giving notice July 10. What is the law in regards to lease renewals?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chaos:
:confused:
I lived in Las Vegas, NV for the last year. At the end of June 2000, I signed a 9 month lease renewal, COMMENCING August 1, 2000. Two weeks later, on July 10, 2000, I decided I did not want to stay; I sent a letter to the management company in NV asking them to void the 9 month renewal; I also gave 30 day notice at that time. I moved back to CA on July 24. The property is vacant now. The management company in NV says I am responsible for the time the property is vacant; up to nine months. They also refuse to give me my $1200 security deposit back. Please help me!! It seems to me that since my original lease was not up until August 1, 2000, and my renewal was not going to start until August 1, that I should have been okay by giving notice July 10. What is the law in regards to lease renewals?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you signed the lease renewal you are responsible. The management company must mitigate damages by renting the place as soon as possible rather than letting it sit vacant.

T

Tracey

Management is right; you are wrong. You signed a contract. What makes you think you can change your mind any time up till the day the contract was supposed to start? You are liable for the rent until they re-rent the place. The only thing that lets you off the hook is if you can show that they are not making a reasonable effort to re-rent the place, & that if they had, they'd have rented the place by now.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">