• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

There MUST be recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mule

My siblings and I inherited a small plot of land which we contracted with a local realtor to sell for $8000. He did and took his cut. Over a year later the buyer discovered that there were covenants on the property prohibiting her from building the home she desired. She sued my realtor and us for failing to inform her of the covenants (???). My realtor and her realtor settled out of court for $4000 each, PLUS, they will resell the property and give the proceeds to her. We, on the other hand, spend $3000 in laywer fees to show that we should not have been involved in this suit in the first place. Our lawyer says we have no recourse to recover the money we have spent in his fees. Surely that can't be right?

HomeGuru

Your lawyer is correct.
Count your blessings as you could have been named in the lawsuit and been forced to pay $4K also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">