• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a "rule of thumb" to determine property line?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jennifergo32

What is the name of your state? Oregon! We share a drive way with the house next to us. I was wondering if there is a "rule of thumb" reguarding property line. I "hear" that it is 5ft from the foundation???? We would like to put up a fence down the middle of this shared drive way so our "neighbors" visitors with stop parking in our space and blocking our cars from getting in/out. Is there a way to know for sure with out a survey being done? and also, the shared back fence runs under the eve of my house, is that an indication that the fence is not on the true line? The house was built in the 50's.

FarmerJ

Jen a survey would be best way houses set backs only have to do with zoning rules at the time the home was built as far as where the lot line was in relation to the house . ill bet you when those houses were built the folks who lived there at the time absolutely trusted to do right thing with each other when it cam to the lot lines and parking . but now your only option will be to have a survey done , and once its done go pound pipes into the ground to mark the places where the corners are or use huge rocks or burried magnets to mark the spots .

P

poleaxed

Illinois

Have to jump in here, because we have been going through the same thing. Something we have found that works, is, if someone is parked in the drive, and there is room, park them in whenever possible. Then, drag your feet about moving your vehicle so they can get out. It's your drive, too. You might check with the local police, and see if there is any kind of policy allowing you to have them towed, if they won't move in a timely manner.
When we can afford it, we plan on having a survey done, to settle our issue once and for all.
Just my 2cents.

J

Jennifergo32

Thank you all for the info!

Very good idea, but I am thinking I am so un-happy living here anyway, I may just sell this place to the lowest bidder and let the rude neighbor deal with the fall out! ;)

J

Jennifergo32

Well of course! I was just kidding, my thought was to sell it cheep and get the "quality" neighbors that would be sure to cause an up-roar! Or... I know... I could rent is out! I could wait for the perfect nightmare to apply to live here, and I wold roll out a red carpet!

Of course I would never do that, after all... "love thy neighbor"!

:D :D :D

HomeGuru

If you check out the Landlord Tenant forum on this website, you could find some perfect nightmare tenants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">