• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title Company made mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sixtos

Hi, we recently closed escrow on our home. Two weeks after we closed the title company called and said we need to bring an additional 2700+ dollar check to the office asap because they made a mistake on the closing costs. They said the broker company was shorted points. Well that's great, but we had no additional funds. I was very upset with the company and told them well, when we went to sign, you gave us a total and we scrapped it up and came in with it. At the time, we had 2700, but now we don't!!

Well, a couple of days later, I got a damand letter to send them a check or they will litigate??? The letter had cc:legal department.

This made me very nervous, but we don't have any money. All our funds have been exhausted and we are struggling now, just to pay our bills and mortgage.

Then, two weeks later, I get another letter stating that I ignored there letter and they were giving me an additional 5 days, but the total now showed over 5700 dollars. I called them and told them I needed an itemized statement showing what the additional funds are for or a revised closing statement. The lady told me she made another mistake and the dollor amount was still only 2700+ dollars and it was a typo. I told her I still didn't have any money but, I was willing to make some kind of payment arrangement. She put me on hold and told me her manager agreed to make arangements (2 payments) one now and one in two weeks, and I would have to go sign a note with them. I told them I don't have that kind of money and I need smaller payments. They said that was the best they could do.

Yesterday, I just got another letter (certified). This time it was from the President of the company which is in a different State. He said this matter was brought to his attention and that I have ignored there requests (which I didn't, they got two phone calls from me). And that if I didn't send the money in full, they will have no other choice but to litigate!! What do I do??? I can hardly pay my mortgage and bills??

Worried

HomeGuru

From now on, communicate with them only in writing via certified rrr mail.
And cc: your State department that licenses mortgage brokers.

sixtos

They're Back to Haunt Me!

Well, I thought they finally realized they made a mistake, but no, I was woke up by a court server this Sunday 2/9 from my sleep with court papers. They're taking me to small claims court for $2,584.07 not including court costs???

I haven't heard from this since last year! Also, they never showed me where there mistake was in our papers. They never sent me a revised Closing Statement, nothing!! First they said that we owed $2700 and wanted it now. They they sent another letter saying we owed $5700 and now the court papers show we own $2,584.07 .

I don't want or need a judgement on my credit report. What do I do?????? I still don't have the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">