• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title Screwup on Closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

millsey75

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I purchased my first home in December 2001. The closing appeared to go as normal, and with the exception of the sellers being very rude (as they were throughout the whole process) my agent and the title company rep said everything went as planned. I find out 6 months after the close that the property that I've acquired actually sits on 2 separate parcels of land. The property was advertised and sold to me as a single parcel, although the home sits partially on both parcels. I found out because I received a separate tax bill for the smaller of the 2 parcels (all payments/taxes set up in escrow). I called the title company, and they have admitted that it was their fault, and will take care of it. The title company says all we need to do is get the sellers to sign a few forms to transfer the smaller parcel to me, but they claim that their calls to the sellers at their new home have not been answered (I'm not surprised...they are very bitter people). I'm getting nervous because it has been several months and nothing seems to be happening. What should I do? Should I continue to pursue action with the title company, or should I find a lawyer for myself?
Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can provide.

HomeGuru

Send a certified rrr letter to the President of the title company demanding that they hire an attorney (at their own cost and expense) to resolve the matter within 45 days of receipt of the letter.
If the property is not deeded to you by said date, you will be forced to hire your own attorney to take action to include but not be liited to filing a claim with the State regulatory agency, filing a claim against their errors and ommissions insurance and filing litigation
It appears that top management at the title company does not know what happened and the underlings are trying to resolve the issue in a half-ass hap-hazard manner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">