• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title vs. Mortgage. Who owns the house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xpeachiex

What is the name of your state? Texas

I'm not sure where I'm suppose to go with this. Maybe you can help me. Here is my situation. I bought this house in April 2004 for parents to live in because they couldn't use their own credit. Title appears to be have been transferred to my mother soon after, and then to my dad's real estate company. I was not aware of either transfers till now. The mortgage is still under my name and they've been late on payments for over 20 months so my credit took a huge beating. My father's been using my credit without my knowledge since I turned 18, getting commercial loans, etc, and not paying them back. They've decided to sell the house, again without my consent, and pocket all the profits. The house was listed recently under my dad's real estate company. I feel all this is really unfair and that I should be compensated for something when the house sells to make up for my ruined credit. I'm really confused as to where all the boundaries lie. My question is, am I entitled to anything here? And also, is it that easy to transfer title without the original owner being aware? Oh, and also, who is the rightful owner of the house? Your help and guidance would be truly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

bdancer

When you initially purchased the home, whose name was on the deed? Since the mortgage is in your name alone, I certainly hope your name was at least listed on that deed.

nextwife

How was title transfered out from your name? Did YOU sign a deed? Who's signature is on the deed from you to them??

The OWNERS are the partys in title, not who is on the mortgage.

lcannister

Duplicate post so I will copy this here as well

Originally Posted by xpeachiex
My question is, am I entitled to anything here?
Tell Pops he either turns the house over to you or you file charges for identity theft (providing you can prove what you say) and a myriad of other fraudulent activities if the tile was changed wthout your permission etc.

Then do it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">