• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Too Trusting Parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dixie35045

What is the name of your state? Alabama
My elderly father has kept his family home for some years, and over time it has become neglected. It is within the city limits and the taxes have always been paid, just little maintenance done due to finances. A male friend of one sister has spoken with my father about living there (along with my sister's son) rent-free in return for "fixing it up". (This man seems to be questionable at best). When I asked my dad about getting a contract signed stating what repairs would be done in a specific period of time, his reply was that he hadn't ever gotten a contract signed by family members. I pointed out that this man wasn't a family member. My father is alert mentally, and he is very aware that myself, another sister, and a brother don't trust this man at all. My father is territorial about his property and resents any "interference" from us, but it would tear him apart to lose this house. My question is this: could this man later gain ownership of this house by claiming that this was agreed to by my father? (kind of a legal squatter, if there is such a thing). Thank you

gotoreader

He could not wind up with the house, there is no transfer of ownership. At best he would have to be evicted legally due to having lived there a certain amount of time (in my state anything beyond 2 wks is no longer a guest, but somewhat a tenant). Just as bad are stealing from your Dad while he's still here and subjecting him to questionable behavior's, etc. I'm with you, sounds like a horrible idea!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">