• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tough situation...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nanzzz

What is the name of your state? New York

My father and his two brothers inherited their mothers home when she passed away. All three brothers now share ownership. (The home is currently being used as a rental property).

The problem is that one brother is very sick and in the hospital. His mental state is uncertain, and there is evidence that he may owe past due taxes to the IRS.

The question: Can the IRS target his part ownership of this home to use against his debts/tax problems? Is there any way possible that my father can remove this brothers name from ownership without his consent/permission, due to his illness and inability to make sound decisions?

HomeGuru

nanzzz said:
What is the name of your state? New York

My father and his two brothers inherited their mothers home when she passed away. All three brothers now share ownership. (The home is currently being used as a rental property).

The problem is that one brother is very sick and in the hospital. His mental state is uncertain, and there is evidence that he may owe past due taxes to the IRS.

The question: Can the IRS target his part ownership of this home to use against his debts/tax problems? Is there any way possible that my father can remove this brothers name from ownership without his consent/permission, due to his illness and inability to make sound decisions?
**A: yes and yes. Consult an attorney to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">