• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towing from private property........

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jay76

What is the name of your state?....Fla.

Hope this is the right place to post this question:

I am the sole property/home owner. My father (92) lives in my home here and contributes to the expenses here. His license is currently suspended for failure to appear for medical review. I am thinking (1 option) of removing tag or disabling vehicle to keep him off the roads as a result of the suspension. If he then calls a tow truck (good chance knowing him) to remove vehicle from my driveway/property, can I keep the tow truck/wrecker off of my property or does his rights as the vehicle owner allow him to remove it which would be to make it drivable again for himself to use while still having a suspended license......Thanks for your assistance & time.

rmet4nzkx

It's his vehicle, he can have it towed.
You can have it towed from your property, but if you start playing games it can bite you back.
The best thing you can do is to call the police and have them come and collect his suspended license, you don't have to tell him you called.
Then it will be clear he can't drive.
You may suggest transfering the title or selling it since he has decided not to renue his license by failing to appear for the medical exam.
And his insurance will have been notified of the suspention.
DO as suggested either call APS and begin the process of conservatorship or talk to him about future plans. You also want to avoid anything respembling elder abuse while at the same time protecting his assets.
Most communities have some forms of transportation "dial a ride" for elderly or disabled persons, look into that and sign him up and that will give him an opportunity to have the freedom to go to the store if he wants, also look into senior citizen or meals on wheels programs, since he is not gregarious, this will offer some routine contact with others and relieve you of some of the burden.

J

Jay76

Thanks for the quick response.

I figured that would be the answer about the towing part.

Yeah, your comment on being careful about anything resembling "elder abuse" is well taken. Believe me, just to get back at me if he knows I am involved in any way with his losing his driving privilege or keeping him off the road in whatever way, he probably will scream "elderly abuse" and even make up things to try & get me in hot water (at first especially till he cools down). Remember my father is no meek & mild elderly guy. More like a human elderly pit bull (which is admirable in some ways but not in others :) ).

Yeah, I think I shall go out this afternoon and make that call from a pay phone to ask my questions to the local police and see if they will keep my identity private. That is important to keep relative peace in my home afterwards. He will of course think it was me but won't be positive. Someday he may just realize it was for his own good and protection in addition to what is best for the welfare of the family.

One more question if I may, out of curiosity. Since I think I understand ya saying the state notified his insurance company of the suspension, do you know/think they will send him a cancellation notice or etc.?

Even though I can take him anywhere he wants to go or drop him off where ever & pick up, I will still look into your suggestion about the free transportation service for the elderly. Btw, we do have a bus stop at the corner which drops people off right down the street at a major shopping area(1-2 miles away). He may use that but at his age, probably best he is chauffered.

He would not eat food from others though, he only feels comfortable eating what he himself cooks, rarily even will eat anything his wife cooks.

Thanks again for your help.

HomeGuru

Jay76 said:
Thanks for the quick response.

I figured that would be the answer about the towing part.

Yeah, your comment on being careful about anything resembling "elder abuse" is well taken. Believe me, just to get back at me if he knows I am involved in any way with his losing his driving privilege or keeping him off the road in whatever way, he probably will scream "elderly abuse" and even make up things to try & get me in hot water (at first especially till he cools down). Remember my father is no meek & mild elderly guy. More like a human elderly pit bull (which is admirable in some ways but not in others :) ).

Yeah, I think I shall go out this afternoon and make that call from a pay phone to ask my questions to the local police and see if they will keep my identity private. That is important to keep relative peace in my home afterwards. He will of course think it was me but won't be positive. Someday he may just realize it was for his own good and protection in addition to what is best for the welfare of the family.

One more question if I may, out of curiosity. Since I think I understand ya saying the state notified his insurance company of the suspension, do you know/think they will send him a cancellation notice or etc.?

Even though I can take him anywhere he wants to go or drop him off where ever & pick up, I will still look into your suggestion about the free transportation service for the elderly. Btw, we do have a bus stop at the corner which drops people off right down the street at a major shopping area(1-2 miles away). He may use that but at his age, probably best he is chauffered.

He would not eat food from others though, he only feels comfortable eating what he himself cooks, rarily even will eat anything his wife cooks.

Thanks again for your help.
**A: please post insurance questions in the proper forum. Your post does not have anything to do with real estate law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">