• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Township Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tayderbug

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Minnesota
We own property in a township where my brother was once on the township board. He managed to get on the bad side of some of the people still on the township board and since he left the board we have received minimal maintenance on a quarter mile road that leads up to the homestead (we are talking at least five, possibly more, years). This is a four-mile stretch of gravel road, our farmstead is a quarter mile off a county road and there is a bridge over the river beyond that.
No gravel has been put down in years, and has only been “bladed” by the county one to two times a year, which wasn’t a real issue. The problem with the whole thing is that this was a high traffic road. People were using the bridge on the other side of the farmstead to get farm equipment to their fields, and it was also frequently used by others for daily transportation. Since there was minimal maintenance the quarter mile stretch got lower, wider and muddier.
We recently had flooding in our area that took out the bridge going the other direction from the homestead. We also have adjoining land on the other side of the bridge that was part of a forty-acre homestead parcel. I also own eighty acres adjoining that. Now that the bridge is out we have to drive six miles around to get to our property.
We had heard that the bridge would not be put back in unless FEMA paid for it. Someone from the township board also came by with a petition they were sending to FEMA making certain requests. There was nothing about the bridge in the petition.
Now we are being told that the bridge is not going to be put in because the township does not have any money. I don’t know that this is true, since every other township road is well maintained and in good shape. I could go out and take pictures of all the township roads and you can clearly see how they have let the road deteriorate.
My questions are can they refuse to put in the bridge without having a meeting to discuss this with landowners and other people that will feel the impact of this? Also, what is to become of the road going to our farmstead. Is it now our responsibility to maintain since it is only going to our place and not across the bridge to the other side? Did this devalue our property considerable by denying us access to our land and to our farmstead? I’m thinking I’m going to have to get an attorney, but want to know if I am also wasting my time.

HomeGuru

You are going to have to talk to an attorney to see if you are wasting your time. Your issues are specifc and we have no knowledge of any verbal/written agreements, historical data, FEMA requirements etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">