• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

toxic problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rains1231

I purchased a house 10 years ago. I recently learned that the floor tiles are asbestos in nature. I've looked through all the information (inspections, etc. ) and there is nothing anywhere to indicate that the floor was toxic.The house was a repo and I wanted to find out if, even after all this time, the bank and/or the realtor have any kind of responsibility in the matter.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rains1231:
I purchased a house 10 years ago. I recently learned that the floor tiles are asbestos in nature. I've looked through all the information (inspections, etc. ) and there is nothing anywhere to indicate that the floor was toxic.The house was a repo and I wanted to find out if, even after all this time, the bank and/or the realtor have any kind of responsibility in the matter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bank has no liabilty and the Realtor may have some liability say 5% if it was not disclosed that due to the age of the home, the floor tile may contain asbestos. If the tile is 9x9 and has different colors/patterns in the tile and the home was built prior to 1978 the tile is suspect. The mastic used to secure the tiles to the floor may also be asbestos containing. If the tile is intact, not damaged, torn, cracked, scratched etc. then it is in good condition and does not pose a hazard. The only way to be sure the building material is asbestos containing is to have an environmental consultant take samples and have a lab look at the sample through a microscope. I would be more concerned with the presence of lead paint than the asbestos in the floor tile. For more information see www.epa.gov

T

Tracey

You know, we have this hysteria over asbestos in the US. :) Asbestos is perfectly safe until it's broken up into little powdery bits & inhaled. It's not a contact toxin like PCBs or pesticides. The asbestos will only become a problem when you have it removed to redo the floors -- the contractor will have to work with a mask & put up plastic/doors to keep the asbestos out of the rest of the house. This doesn't impose much extra cost, but the contractor will gouge you for it anyway.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">