• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trailer left on property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maggiem

What is the name of your state? Texas
In August of 2002 my family purchased 5.3 acres in Austin County. The previous owners who the land was repoed from left a single wide trailer on the property for what is now 1 1/2 years. our neibor who is the daughter of a Harris County sherriff said that we could go to the tax office and pay the taxes on the trailer and in a year if no one else did the trailer would be ours. Is this true and if so how do we go about it?

HomeGuru

maggiem said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
In August of 2002 my family purchased 5.3 acres in Austin County. The previous owners who the land was repoed from left a single wide trailer on the property for what is now 1 1/2 years. our neibor who is the daughter of a Harris County sherriff said that we could go to the tax office and pay the taxes on the trailer and in a year if no one else did the trailer would be ours. Is this true and if so how do we go about it?

**A: the trailer is considered personal property and there should be a title for it. Who is the owner on title?

ldyroper

check with director of tax equalization

As a tax director myself, (but not in Texas) we have a list of all mobiles registered in our county. check with the tax director to see if and who this mobile is registered to, and what taxes are owed. Here in the state of ND, a mobile is considered Real property, and there fore, is subject to the same collection and enforcement procedures as all other real property.

Did it say anything on your deed or real estate transaction about the mobile?

HomeGuru

Re: check with director of tax equalization

ldyroper said:
As a tax director myself, (but not in Texas) we have a list of all mobiles registered in our county. check with the tax director to see if and who this mobile is registered to, and what taxes are owed. Here in the state of ND, a mobile is considered Real property, and there fore, is subject to the same collection and enforcement procedures as all other real property.

Did it say anything on your deed or real estate transaction about the mobile?

**A: please clarify your statement, "Here in the state of ND, a mobile is considered Real property".

FarmerJ

Maggiem In some places even mobile homes have to have current property tax records . Because like where I live all countys want them registered so they can collect property taxes on the home . Even if its a mobile home many places assess property taxes on the house just not the land . There should be records somewhere in your county govt center about that house .

ldyroper

clarify

let me clarify-
a mobile home which is vacant with no personal belongings in ti and which is physically disconnected from utilities, is Not subject to tax

a mobile home which is not perm. attached to the land but attached to utilites, more than 27 ft in length, and used as a home or business is subject to mobile home tax. NDCC 57-55-01

a mobile home permanently attached to a foundation and situated on land that is owned by the owner of the mobile home is considered real property, and subject to assessment pursuant to NDCC 57-02.

HomeGuru

Re: clarify

ldyroper said:
let me clarify-
1. a mobile home which is vacant with no personal belongings in ti and which is physically disconnected from utilities, is Not subject to tax

2. a mobile home which is not perm. attached to the land but attached to utilites, more than 27 ft in length, and used as a home or business is subject to mobile home tax. NDCC 57-55-01

3. a mobile home permanently attached to a foundation and situated on land that is owned by the owner of the mobile home is considered real property, and subject to assessment pursuant to NDCC 57-02.

**A: thank you very much. In the first 2 examples, you did not state if the mobile home was considered real property or not as you only addressed the tax consequences. And please clarify for our readers whether or not a mobile home tax (stated in #2) is considered real property tax.

ldyroper

mobile homes taxed according to NDCC ch. 57-55 are NOT considered real property and therefore are NOT taxed as real property. If, however, the mobile home is permanently attached to a foundation on the land and both the mobile home and land are owned by the same individual, the mobile home becomes real property subject to taxes according to NDCC ch. 57-02.

M

maggiem

the mobile was left on our property w/o personal belongings. Where should I go to find out who the mobile is deeded to? We have contacted the people who supposedly had the loan on the trailer and they have filed for bankruptcy and never gave us a straight answer about it.

HomeGuru

maggiem said:
the mobile was left on our property w/o personal belongings. Where should I go to find out who the mobile is deeded to? We have contacted the people who supposedly had the loan on the trailer and they have filed for bankruptcy and never gave us a straight answer about it.

**A: contact the BK Trustee.

Souix

I'm not sure if this will help but

in Oregon the DMV is the place to contact for personal property info on ownership and taxes owing. There should be an Xplate number on the Title paperwork or the mobile itself.

When the home is detitled through the DMV it becomes real property regardless of whether it has a permanent foundation or not. The destinction comes when it is determined where the mobile home is sitting. If it is sitting on it own land, then it should be detitled thru DMV, if it is located in a park and the land is leased, then it is considered personal property.

I believe this to be a federal issue and would apply to all states. HUD maybe the one to contact in this case.

HomeGuru

Re: I'm not sure if this will help but

Susie Baby said:
in Oregon the DMV is the place to contact for personal property info on ownership and taxes owing. There should be an Xplate number on the Title paperwork or the mobile itself.

When the home is detitled through the DMV it becomes real property regardless of whether it has a permanent foundation or not. The destinction comes when it is determined where the mobile home is sitting. If it is sitting on it own land, then it should be detitled thru DMV, if it is located in a park and the land is leased, then it is considered personal property.

I believe this to be a federal issue and would apply to all states. HUD maybe the one to contact in this case.

**A: can you please read the thread. The writer is from Texas, not Oregon. I have already gone through this excercise with another poster from ND.
Ok, I'll give you the benefit and let's talk Oregon. Please post the statute that confirms your statement that a mobile becomes real property regardless of whether it has a permanent foundation or not.

Souix

I did read the thread

and as I said, I did not know if this would help or not and the reason why I said that is because of the different locations. My point was I think this might be a federal issue rather than a state issue. If it is a federal issue than HUD would be the one to call. If the home has metal plates attached to it, the owner can be searched thru those numbers on those plates or call the title company in that county and ask them to do a search for the owner if there is an xplate number.

I will try to get that Statute No for the detitling issue in the State of Oregon but it is not a priority for me at this time.

Sorry, I was just trying to help. I sell alot of these manufactured homes and each time we have to go through the process of getting the title company to search for either the xplate number or the detitling before we can market it.

HomeGuru

Re: I did read the thread

Susie Baby said:
and as I said, I did not know if this would help or not and the reason why I said that is because of the different locations. My point was I think this might be a federal issue rather than a state issue. If it is a federal issue than HUD would be the one to call. If the home has metal plates attached to it, the owner can be searched thru those numbers on those plates or call the title company in that county and ask them to do a search for the owner if there is an xplate number.

I will try to get that Statute No for the detitling issue in the State of Oregon but it is not a priority for me at this time.

**A: the issue of whether or not a mobile home is real property vs. personal property is a law of the State not Federal.

Sorry, I was just trying to help. I sell alot of these manufactured homes and each time we have to go through the process of getting the title company to search for either the xplate number or the detitling before we can market it.

**A: my response to you was based on your comment about a mobile being real property even though not being attached to a permanent foundation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">