• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transferring a deed upon death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

das3

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My father owns 5 acres of land and has made a will excluding, by name, all his children from his first marraige. However, we are concerned that one daughter from his first marriage may try to contest the will because he left all the property to me and my two brothers. My mother is deceased. Is there a warranty Deed or something that can be filed transferring owner ship to us upon his death, that cannot be contested or be subject to inhertiance tax? I presently live on the property and have lived here for 31 years. All the others have their own homes elsewhere.
Any advice on what would be the best way to secure the property so she cannot contest it would be helpful.
Thank You,
DAS

HomeGuru

das3 said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia
My father owns 5 acres of land and has made a will excluding, by name, all his children from his first marraige. However, we are concerned that one daughter from his first marriage may try to contest the will because he left all the property to me and my two brothers. My mother is deceased. Is there a warranty Deed or something that can be filed transferring owner ship to us upon his death, that cannot be contested or be subject to inhertiance tax? I presently live on the property and have lived here for 31 years. All the others have their own homes elsewhere.
Any advice on what would be the best way to secure the property so she cannot contest it would be helpful.
Thank You,
DAS
**A: father can deed the property to you now or create a deed naming you and him as joint tenant titleholders. Consult a tax advisor on the tax issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">