• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

transferring title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cnicol

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new hampshire

My mother had her half of the house in an irrevocable trust fund. She then went into a nursing home and was denied medicaid on the grounds that the house was an asset. They advised taking the home out of the trust. I did this and I now have 2 deeds. One transfers the deed from myself to myself and my mother, the other transfers myself as sole trustee to myself.
Medicaid says I can now put the house in my name. I cannot discover if they put a lien on the house but I am confused as to the ownership. The wording makes it sound like I now own 3/4 of the home. If I transfer the house into my name (under the caregiver law) would I have to pay medicaid market value or anything at all?

FlyingRon

Medicare won't generally lien you. They just refuse to pay if they believe there are improper transfers. I'm not sure how you "deeded" anything that was in a irrevocable trust. Further, if the transfer into the trust was determined to be an ineligible transfer, I don't know why you thought that transferring it from the trust to you would make things any better.

You need to grab all of those deeds and the medicare letter and take them to someone well-versed in elder law issues. I'm not sure what caregiver law you are referring to. If she's in a home, you are NOT a caregiver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">