• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TRAPPED IN HOUSING LEAVE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

godswoman

THIS IS IN WASHINGTON, DC. SORT OF TENANT, SORT OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE QUESTION?

My husband was put out of the home this weekend for a THIRD incidence of domestic violence. He hit knocked out my tooth and hit my mother. He went to court and was released on Monday. Now he keeps coming to the house demanding to come in. Sunday he broke the outside porch lamp off the house. I am afraid as he becomes more angry, he may decide to break the patio glass (the entire rear first floor wall is glass) and come in. I have had no sleep in about 2 days! He calls my job constantly ... threatening, questioning, trying to intimidate. I have no faith in the courts or trying to get a protective order. The last time I did so, the police came to the house, served him and left me in the house with him. Consequently I endured hours of his anger and rage because I dared take him to court!

All I want to do is GET AWAY. I can afford to move immediately, but my landlord will not let me out of my lease, and I can't stand a $6,000-$7,000 additional financial liability now. I am looking for another job and may even go back to working "temps" if necessary. But, please, is there any way I can get out of that lease ... or is there any help available to find another place to live OTHER THAN A SHELTER? I'm not slamming shelters, but I just want to be allowed to move to another home ... preferrably in Maryland or Virginia ... where I can be sage. Thanks in advance for your response.

T

Tracey

This is a no brainer. He's on bail for domestic violence. No contact with you is almost certainly a condition of his bail. Call the cops every time you see his face or hear his voice. Complain to the DA that he's violating the conditions of his bail and you want him taken back into custody until trial. Inform the DA that you'll sue them for any damage he does if they leave him at large. DA/Police departments have had to pay big damages for leaving known abusers out on bail.

Change all locks on your apt. You might need to get the lock change approved by a court, so L can't get sued by your ex.

Once you leave, L has a duty to re-rent the place ASAP. You're not looking at $7k of damages. More like $500. Besides, even if it is $7k, you can afford that a lot better than you can afford the property/physical damages the vindictive bast*rd will inflict on you if you stay.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">