• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tricky home situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

To make a long story short, I got behind in my mortgage due to my workplace closing. I have filed several loan modifications with Chase Manhattan; but as has been documented extensively by other Chase mortgage customers, they play games, repeatedly saying they haven't received everything, despite it all been having sent over & over, then decline it because of missing paperwork. This has been going on for nearly 3.5 years. There is no foreclosure date set. They recently started sending me bills again, out of the blue; but I have not been paying them, since we have no agreement in place. The house balance was discharged in a completed bankruptcy already, so I don't owe them. They've just been piling on the penalties, and they want more than the house is worth. During the winter, my roof over the bedroom caved in from the snow. The bank placed structure only insurance on the house in my name. My question is, when the settlement comes in, am I obligated to use it to fix the house, or could I use it to find another place to live?

PaulMass

A court could determine that you committed waste on the property by allowing it to be damaged without repairing it. This occurred after your discharge, so you may be liable.

I suspect the insurance company will not simply mail you a check, but who knows?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">