• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trouble with "ghost" investor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maria53

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

fall 2012, I suggested to my parent and sister that we jointly purchase a rental property in Oregon (each entity would have 1/3 ownership). I had previously purchased a duplex which was turning out to be a good rental property and thought the additional purchase would be good for all of us. After selecting a property to purchase, my sister revealed that she hadn't filed taxes in several years, but was going to work on getting that done. Due to the possibility of a tax lien, my parents and I were reluctant to go into this deal with her, but tentatively agreed that she could be a silent partner until she settled her tax issues.

Just as this was happening, my father was diagnosed with cancer which later proved to be terminal. We closed on the property in Sept. 2012 with my parents and I each owning half. My sister had given my parents $22,000 as her estimated portion of the down payment, although it turned out that her 1/3 share would have been much more. In March 2013, my father was in his last days and was urgently trying to settle his financial affairs. He wanted to put my parents property in a living trust and insisted on doing that immediately. At that time, my sister still had not settled her tax issues and my father stated it was now "impossible" to make her a partner. I protested this but he insisted and I felt I had to respect his wishes. Also, my father was a lawyer and I assumed he had good legal reasons for making this decision. We were all in a state where none of us were probably thinking well.

Because I was now a half-owner, I had to provide additional funds to my parents since I had previously only paid them 1/3 of the down payment. This was difficult for me as I didn't have a lot of cash at the time, plus had many expenses related to my father's illness.

He passed away in May 2013. My mother was not in any condition to deal with financial matters at the time and although I offered to tell my sister about the house deal, my mother insisted that she would do it since she didn't want me to get the blame (my sister and I don't have the best relationship, in part due to her anger management issues). My mother was then reluctant to broach the topic because every time she tried, my sister would berate her and have a fit of anger. Finally my mother told her straight out that she wasn't a legal partner and attempted to return her $22,000 plus an additional $6,000 to compensate her for the trouble. My sister tore up both the checks and was extremely angry with my mother, and refused to accept this decision.

At this point, what recourse do we have. Neither my mother nor I feel comfortable with my sister as a business partner at this point, plus she still has pending tax issues. Also, she would have to put in more than $22,000 even as a 1/3 investor, plus the house is now worth more due to accrued equity and and an "emergency" fund in a bank account. My mother and I are not spending any of the funds the house generates. We have also been told by several realtors that the house is now worth about $75,000 more on the market.

I've offered to sell my sister my half share in the house at the past valuation plus any accrued assets and if she pays all transaction costs. I'm willing to forego future profit just to get this settled.

So, does any one have any reasonable options for solving this?

Also, does my sister have any legal standing in claiming to be a 1/3 investor even though there was never any legal written agreement about this.

Thanks for any help with solving this terrible issue.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'd suggest that the money be put in a separate account so that it's available to return to her when she's ready to accept it. Of course, I'm only talking about the $22,000 - you (plural) don't owe her anything beyond that.

LdiJ

I'd suggest that the money be put in a separate account so that it's available to return to her when she's ready to accept it. Of course, I'm only talking about the $22,000 - you (plural) don't owe her anything beyond that.
I am thinking 22k plus interest. Mom and dad did have the control and use of the money.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am thinking 22k plus interest. Mom and dad did have the control and use of the money.
True enough - really, from a business perspective, the money should have been in an interest bearing account since it was received.

maria53

True enough - really, from a business perspective, the money should have been in an interest bearing account since it was received.
Thank you to all of you for the advice. It is very helpful and I'll pass it on to my Mother.

Mom did have the funds in some sort of bank account all this time, although I'm not sure what interest rate was involved. I thought my mother's offer of the down payment back plus $6,000 was extremely reasonable, this would be a 27% return!

Any idea of approximate costs to transfer a share of the property to the sister if she continues to reject the 27% return? Thank you again!

FarmerJ

Considering what you said as to how she treats your mom , Id suggest you put your foot down and do nothing at all other than keeping her initial money available plus interest in a different acct that will accrue interest on its own and if your mom has to then leave this acct to your sister in her own will and let your mom read this or read it to her. If your sister is such a (unpleasant derogatory word) now toward her and she still has not taken care of her tax issues to risk the legal interest the two of you have over her bad choices in itself is not a good choice Let alone anything else that comes up with your moms own aging , whats gonna happen if your mom due to health issues if she became vulnerable with aging and your sister needed money, would she brow beat her or act in a way that would make your mom fear for her safety to get what she wanted only because she got her way with things in the past?

maria53

Considering what you said as to how she treats your mom , Id suggest you put your foot down and do nothing at all other than keeping her initial money available plus interest in a different acct that will accrue interest on its own and if your mom has to then leave this acct to your sister in her own will and let your mom read this or read it to her. If your sister is such a (unpleasant derogatory word) now toward her and she still has not taken care of her tax issues to risk the legal interest the two of you have over her bad choices in itself is not a good choice Let alone anything else that comes up with your moms own aging , whats gonna happen if your mom due to health issues if she became vulnerable with aging and your sister needed money, would she brow beat her or act in a way that would make your mom fear for her safety to get what she wanted only because she got her way with things in the past?
Thank for the good advice which I will share with my mother. I've expressed exactly the same thoughts to my mother in regards to future actions as well, but part of the reason for posting here is to hopefully get some unbiased input which might be of value in others' thinking. I truly appreciate the input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">