• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble with seller

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buckeye55

Florida

I made an offer to purchase a home in Orlando. At the time, the house was being remodeled. On the contract, the seller checked the box that said she knew of no building code violations associated with the property. I had an inspection done, and the inspector noted the remodeling work, and that it needed to be completed to code.

Last month I found out that the seller had never pulled a building permit for the remodeling job. I said I couldn't close until one had been taken out, and that the work was up to code. Last week the seller pulled a premit and called for an inspection. The work failed miserably, since it was done by her husband. I then told the seller's agent that I would not purchase the home, since I had no way of knowing what else the seller had done wrong to the house.

The seller and listing agent are now saying that they will keep my deposit since I didn't close on the house.

What is my recourse? I really do not have the money for an attorney.

Thank you.

B

buckeye55

Acting only as a transaction broker...out of the same office as the listing agent.

HomeGuru

Then file a complaint with the State real estate licensing office against 3 people. The Seller's agent, your agent and their principal broker.
Spending on the amount of the deposit, you may be able to sue the Seller in Small Claims Court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">