• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to Beat an old Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ineedalawyer

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I have purchased a home and run a business from it, (the zoning office calls it a home occupation). My wonderful neighbor, (two doors down) has informed me that his Greaaaat Grand-Pappy placed, in the deed, a restriction on business being conducted on this property. The man that placed this on the deed is long since dead. The woman that sold me the property had no problems with the business at all.
How, if possible, do i remove this from the deed, or do deeds just go on and on gathering rules and restrictions forever!?!?

Thanks

FarmerJ

Have you reviewed all the documents for the property Including everything that the courthouse has possession of for your home In order to see If what you were told is true ? If you had a Abstract for the home did the title company ever mention this to you when it was updated last ? Maybe in those documents is your answer . also as needed do consult with a local lawyer .

I

ineedalawyer

Title Co.

I have consulted the lawyer that did the original Deed research and he said that he indeed had found it (do covenants hide?).
I don't know that I shouldcontinue with him as it sounds like he ....screwed up.
What I really want to know is , am I chasing my tail trying to have this removed from my Deed? Can it be done?
Thanks very much

HomeGuru

The lawyer messed up. It appears that the type of deed restriction you have is said to "run with the land", meaning it will be there forever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">