• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to collect back rent from rental property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gdsaba

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

My father gifted me a couple of rental properties in 1992. I live 250 miles away from my father and the properties. Our verbal agreement was, when I received the deeds to said properties,that he would take care of property taxes, interest, maintenance, and collecting the rents. In return, my father would put the remaining rent monies into an accrual account which would go to me when he passed away. He did not need my rent income to live on as he had other sources of income. Here's the problem. My father is almost 100 years old, had been in good health until recently, still lives alone. My sister has been handling his affairs and refuses to give me any information about my accrued rent monies.
She refuses to speak to me except for an occasional email she sends. My question is what discipline of attorney should I hire to get to the bottom of this situation? Real Estate, Family Law or Estate? A very convuluted theater.

Thank you anyone that can help...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">