• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tying up closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FS_leftblank

A friend of mine was given a house by the original purchaser. My friend sold the house
and while waiting to close was told by original purchaser the house was NOT to be sold and that the closing would be blocked or at least delayed. A quitclaim deed was signed and the land title signed to my friend. Is there any way the original purchaser can block the sale or closing?

T

Tracey

No, and if the donor tries, your friend gets to sue him/her for any $$ s/he loses by the delay in closing. This assumes that the quitclaim deed did not have any restrictions against sale in it, nor were there any restrictions on the land prior to the donor giving friend the quitclaim deed.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">