• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unclear title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biffpantera

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ct
Here's my question/dilemma. I lived with a women for the past 12 years. Unfortunately she passed away a few months ago. She owned the home we lived in and willed it to me. The title is not clear. About 40 years ago she bought the home from her mother and they set up a 25 year mortgage (30k). About 10 years into it her mother passed away. My gf and her 2 siblings inherited the mortgage and she continued to pay them 1/3rd each until it was paid off, about 1997. But she never filed a mortgage release so this mortgage is on the title. Her siblings are still alive, but were not close to her, I only met one (her brother) briefly. And frankly he despised my gf and is quite underhanded and I know he wouldn't help me out here. Also I have no documentation that proves she paid them. Since asking them nicely to sign a release is out of the question what's the alternative? Is there an expiration date on these things? I'm concerned about being able to refinance the legitimate debt on the property...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

it's time to get out the wallet and speak with an attorney. This is a messed up situation and is not a DIY cure, if there actually is one.

biffpantera

Thanks for the response. And I get your point.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it or do I cut my losses and walk away from it? Sure a lawyer @ $300/hr will say I should pursue it, but if ultimately the other parties can simply say "NO" and end of story, what good would a lawyer do for me anyway? If they refuse to sign some document to clear the title, what good would/could a lawyer do?

I have a substantial tax bill due in a month....to pay or not to pay. If I'm never going to own the place I'd be an idiot to pay it at this point.

justalayman

I have no idea if it is worth it or not. That is something you would have to weigh. I would at least sit down with an attorney for an initial discussion. It won't cost that much and would presumable give you a much clearer idea to your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">