• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unethical Real Estate agent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greg Sr.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Several years ago my father (78 years old) re-married. His new wife happens to be a Real Estate agent.

My father and I have been working out a small disagreement over a loan he gave my son (his grandson). My son has not been able to make his payments to his grandfather. My father thinks I should pay off my son's loan. I told him I don't have the funds right now.

His wife apparently dug into our mortgage history and "discovered" that my wife and I pulled some cash out of our house during a re-finance. My father is mad because he thinks we should have paid him off with some of the proceeds from the re-financing.

My father knew ALL the details of our re-financing. When I questioned where he got such detailed information, he simply replied that he did NOT find it in the public records.

I know my father's wife is eager to utilize her Real Estate license for such detective work. A few weeks ago she offered my sister some mortgage information on my sister's daughter (my niece).

Here's my question: Did my father's wife violate any legal or ethical standards by using her license and/or knowledge of Real Estate to gain specific detailed information on property that she is not involved with? All parties live in California.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Greg when something is done to change title information on a home like a second mortgage or a refi or sale the information might not be easy to find but is still there some where in the recorders office. One property I had did have a abstract that listed EVERY single transaction and transfer that occured since the property had been first deeded out when it was part of a huge farm in the 1860s, it was very interesting reading thru the chain of names and title transfers , one could see each persons purchase price too when it had been sold as well as each transfer when it was left to someone in a will. Ill bet she just dug deeper into the property history and got the information that way which really is public information. Unfortunately I think she is of poor character to get the information and bring it up when it really is none of her concern. ( does it make you wonder if she researched your dads assets before marrying him ?) BTW did your son and his grandfather have a written agreement to cover the loan ?

Last edited:

nextwife

mortgages are a matter of public record - there is nothing unethical about researching any PUBLIC record.

How old is your son and why is he not making any attempt to repay his debt?

PghREA

You don't need a real estate license to research public records. All you need is time and patience to go to the county treasurer's office and research deeds and mortgages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">