• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unique Question involving realtor ethics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kyra_Eleison

What is the name of your state? Washington

Okay, this is a unique... and painful... question. Six months ago my husband and I purchased our dream home. At the same time, using the same agent, my parents purchased an income property. A couple of weeks ago I discovered that the agent and my husband have been engaged in an affair that began while she was acting as our Realtor - and my parents'. This woman has, obviously, done grievous harm to my marriage, beginning while she was employed by me, to act as my agent and protect my interests. The real kicker is, of course, that she profited at the same time, taking several thousands of dollars of my money, and several thousand dollars of my parents' money, in commissions. I've been thinking about approaching her employer (Tomlinson Black) and demanding my commission money back. The way I see it this was grossly unprofessional behavior and an unconscionable conflict of interest, to put it lightly. My question is; do I have any legal backing in this?

las365

If she complied with the terms of the legal contract you had with her and earned the commission, you don't get it back because she threw in a little somethin somethin for your husband. Neither do your parents.

justalayman

while her morals and ethics are not anything to brag about, unless she actually caused you harm (financial due to the real estate deals) youhave nothing.

Report her to the state licensing agency, the state board of Realtors, if she is a Realtor, and her broker. While it may sound callous, just because she was doing things with your husband, it does not mean she did anything illegal.

You do realize that through your entire post, you cthouroughly condmemned the agent but yousaid nothing of your husbands culpability in this.

as they say."it takes two to tango"

Kyra_Eleison

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback, particularly justalayman. For the record, I absolutely hold my husband responsible for his actions. After 10 years of marriage, his betrayal was a far more personal one than hers, obviously. The one thing she did that he didn't, which was of course the thing I was asking for feedback on, was commit unprofessional behavior to the highest degree. I will consider justalayman's suggestions carefully.

las365

Out of curiosity I looked the Realtor's Code of Ethics http://www.realtor.org/MemPolWeb.nsf/pages/COde

It doesn't address personal or sexual relationships between realtors and clients at all. Some professions (law, medicine, education) prohibit such relationships because of the imbalance of power and other considerations. I dont' think a realtor/client relationship rises to that level.

You are not angry because this woman was unprofessional. You are not angry because she dd something bad as a realtor. You are mad because she slept with your husband. She did something bad as a person. They are separate issues, in my opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">