• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unjust eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MattC

I live with a room mate in a basement apartment in CO. Another family lives in the house above us and they have made fradulent complaints to the landlord. The neighbors have accused my room mate and I of things we have never done and say that we are messy and attracting roaches, none of which is true, in fact the landlord inspected our apartment a week ago and found it very nice. The other tenants have never expressed their concerns to my room mate and I, and when they complained to the landlord, the landlord never came to check out the situation she simply took their word for it and served us an eviction notice without any kind of warning. It's very strange since previously the landlord has told my room mate and I that we're good tenants and the previous negihbors always said that we were nice neighbors. It's my believe that these neighbors have some sort of discrimination against my room mate and I and are lying to get us evicted simply becuase they don't like us. What should I do in this situation?

L

Lynnette

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MattC:
What should I do in this situation?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you have a written lease? If so, the causes for eviction will be listed. If there is no lease, you have a month-to-month tenancy, and the landlord is required to only give you 30 days notice to leave, regardless of the reasons. Unfortunately, your neighbors are not required to notify you about complaints,(sometimes it can be dangerous to confront an alleged offender). I'm curious if your landlord has an occupancy permit for the basement to legally charge rent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">