• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unknown Master Association Due, now Court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

niu78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I live in an association with a Townhome monthly fee, and a Master Association Master Fee. I live in Illinois. The problem is that I never received any information that their is a Master Fee. I am current on the Townhome fee.

I received a summons from the management company that handles my Homeowners Assosciation. They are claiming that I owe $404.00 + court fees for a missed payment to a Master Association. The annual due is $100.00.

The problem is that I never received any information, a bill, a due date, or even a phone call, prior to the summons.

After receiving the summons a few weeks ago, I called and emailed. This is the first time I found out that their is a Master Association fee due annually, along with my Monthly TownHome Association Fee. I emailed back stating that I would pay the $100.00, but since I was never informed, sent a bill, or issued a due date, that I shoudl not be responsible for the legal fees. I told them that if I received a bill, or even a phone call I would have made a prompt payment.

They denied my request and said that I owe the $404.00 because they did not want to pass the legal fees along to the association.

My defense is that I never received any documentation, any letters, any phone calls, or well ... anything about this due. I don't understand how I could have paid a bill that I knew nothing about.

The association stated they mailed me letters. They emailed me a scanned copy of letters that I never received in the mail, and a certified letter from the lawyer. I never received any of these letters, and never signed for a certified letter.

The issue of the $100.00 is not a problem, and I would happily pay. However, I have a court date for $400 + court fees, for the late fee, and legal fees, are a major problem.

Can anyone help me out with this defense. I have complained to the Management company and strongly stated that I never received any letters, which is 100% true. But they still insist that I am somehow responsibile for the legal fees.

Is there any protection I have. The Managment company obviously dropped the ball by not communicating this annual fee. Now they expect me to pay the fee plus the legal fees.

Please Help. Thank you in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I live in an association with a Townhome monthly fee, and a Master Association Master Fee. I live in Illinois. The problem is that I never received any information that their is a Master Fee. I am current on the Townhome fee.

I received a summons from the management company that handles my Homeowners Assosciation. They are claiming that I owe $404.00 + court fees for a missed payment to a Master Association. The annual due is $100.00.

The problem is that I never received any information, a bill, a due date, or even a phone call, prior to the summons.

After receiving the summons a few weeks ago, I called and emailed. This is the first time I found out that their is a Master Association fee due annually, along with my Monthly TownHome Association Fee. I emailed back stating that I would pay the $100.00, but since I was never informed, sent a bill, or issued a due date, that I shoudl not be responsible for the legal fees. I told them that if I received a bill, or even a phone call I would have made a prompt payment.

They denied my request and said that I owe the $404.00 because they did not want to pass the legal fees along to the association.

My defense is that I never received any documentation, any letters, any phone calls, or well ... anything about this due. I don't understand how I could have paid a bill that I knew nothing about.

The association stated they mailed me letters. They emailed me a scanned copy of letters that I never received in the mail, and a certified letter from the lawyer. I never received any of these letters, and never signed for a certified letter.

The issue of the $100.00 is not a problem, and I would happily pay. However, I have a court date for $400 + court fees, for the late fee, and legal fees, are a major problem.

Can anyone help me out with this defense. I have complained to the Management company and strongly stated that I never received any letters, which is 100% true. But they still insist that I am somehow responsibile for the legal fees.

Is there any protection I have. The Managment company obviously dropped the ball by not communicating this annual fee. Now they expect me to pay the fee plus the legal fees.

Please Help. Thank you in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: simply put you owe the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">