• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are unpaid medical bills lienable on home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tink11464

What is the name of your state? PA

Hi - My husband purchased a home for my inlaws when they came here to live from another country. He had my mother-in-law's name along with his on the home. We have never lived in that home. Both inlaws have recently been hospitalized and were in a nursing home (mother-in-law is now home, but father in law is till in nursing home).

My mother in law is 72 and still works full time but is currently out on disability due to her illness. She is getting some disability and both get social security. I went for my scheduled meeting today to see if we could get them medical assistance to help with those bills. They required so much information that my inlaws don't have such as birth certificates, tax forms for the past 3 years, etc...

My question is - if these bills are not paid, the nursing home/medical bills - are the lienable on the house?

Thank you in advance for your help - as always!!!

xylene

What is the name of your state? PA

Hi - My husband purchased a home for my inlaws when they came here to live from another country. He had my mother-in-law's name along with his on the home. We have never lived in that home. Both inlaws have recently been hospitalized and were in a nursing home (mother-in-law is now home, but father in law is till in nursing home).

My mother in law is 72 and still works full time but is currently out on disability due to her illness. She is getting some disability and both get social security. I went for my scheduled meeting today to see if we could get them medical assistance to help with those bills. They required so much information that my inlaws don't have such as birth certificates, tax forms for the past 3 years, etc...

My question is - if these bills are not paid, the nursing home/medical bills - are the lienable on the house?

Thank you in advance for your help - as always!!!
Short answer - yes. Creditors can sue and collect on debtor's assets.

You need to talk with a professional lawyer with experience in elder issues to minimize your husbands exposure as a co-owner of the home and to craft an action plan for the elders long term needs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">