+ Reply to Thread
    mystee is offline Junior Member

unpaid property taxes

What is the name of your state? ny there was a mistake made with my NY state property taxes from 2002. When i went to pay them back then they said they were already paid . I just refinanced then then it was sold to another mortgage company so i thought one of them must have paid them. I got a letter from a bank telling me i now have to pay them, there was a mistake. The only problem is that they want large payments, and by credit card over the phone. Sounds like a scam, but i got a registered letter from their lawyer saying the will put a lien on the house. Question is, can i legally make a smaller monthly payment, and is a lien a bad thing? Could i lose the house? They say i have to make a larger monthly payment, but i cannot afford it.
    seniorjudge Guest
    A lien is a bad thing and you can lose your house.

Yes, this is very irritating, but you still owe your taxes. See if you can negotiate an easier payment.
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mystee
    What is the name of your state? ny there was a mistake made with my NY state property taxes from 2002. When i went to pay them back then they said they were already paid . I just refinanced then then it was sold to another mortgage company so i thought one of them must have paid them. I got a letter from a bank telling me i now have to pay them, there was a mistake. The only problem is that they want large payments, and by credit card over the phone. Sounds like a scam, but i got a registered letter from their lawyer saying the will put a lien on the house. Question is, can i legally make a smaller monthly payment, and is a lien a bad thing?

**A: not unless the bank approves. Yes a lien is a bad thing.
    Could i lose the house?

**A: yes, since you are in default of your mortgage and the bank can foreclose.
    They say i have to make a larger monthly payment, but i cannot afford it.
    **A: have a garage sale or something.