• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unpaid property taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mystee

What is the name of your state? ny there was a mistake made with my NY state property taxes from 2002. When i went to pay them back then they said they were already paid . I just refinanced then then it was sold to another mortgage company so i thought one of them must have paid them. I got a letter from a bank telling me i now have to pay them, there was a mistake. The only problem is that they want large payments, and by credit card over the phone. Sounds like a scam, but i got a registered letter from their lawyer saying the will put a lien on the house. Question is, can i legally make a smaller monthly payment, and is a lien a bad thing? Could i lose the house? They say i have to make a larger monthly payment, but i cannot afford it.

S

seniorjudge

A lien is a bad thing and you can lose your house.

Yes, this is very irritating, but you still owe your taxes. See if you can negotiate an easier payment.

HomeGuru

mystee said:
What is the name of your state? ny there was a mistake made with my NY state property taxes from 2002. When i went to pay them back then they said they were already paid . I just refinanced then then it was sold to another mortgage company so i thought one of them must have paid them. I got a letter from a bank telling me i now have to pay them, there was a mistake. The only problem is that they want large payments, and by credit card over the phone. Sounds like a scam, but i got a registered letter from their lawyer saying the will put a lien on the house. Question is, can i legally make a smaller monthly payment, and is a lien a bad thing?

**A: not unless the bank approves. Yes a lien is a bad thing.
Could i lose the house?

**A: yes, since you are in default of your mortgage and the bank can foreclose.
They say i have to make a larger monthly payment, but i cannot afford it.
**A: have a garage sale or something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">