• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unpermitted renovations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JK23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Currently in negotiation to purchase a home in Brevard County Florida. Due to my own investigation, and not that of the home inspector or disclosures by seller, we discovered renovations done to home were not done so with a permit. After bringing this to seller's attention, and requesting that the county inspect the work...the seller will only involve the county if he has a solid deal to buy...with his realtor using the term "open the floodgates with the county". Not a phrase I wanted to here.
What recourse to I have after I settle on a deal, if the county finds issues...can I hold seller responsible? Was he required to disclose unpermitted work?
The work in question is the enclosure of an existing "Florida room". The room is now "under air" with framing done by seller, and windows and doors done by contractor. A permit was pulled for roof upgrade above room, which now has a "floating deck" on top of that...no permit.
Love the house but don't want to get screwed.

HomeGuru

Currently in negotiation to purchase a home in Brevard County Florida. Due to my own investigation, and not that of the home inspector or disclosures by seller, we discovered renovations done to home were not done so with a permit. After bringing this to seller's attention, and requesting that the county inspect the work...the seller will only involve the county if he has a solid deal to buy...with his realtor using the term "open the floodgates with the county". Not a phrase I wanted to here.
What recourse to I have after I settle on a deal, if the county finds issues...can I hold seller responsible? Was he required to disclose unpermitted work?
The work in question is the enclosure of an existing "Florida room". The room is now "under air" with framing done by seller, and windows and doors done by contractor. A permit was pulled for roof upgrade above room, which now has a "floating deck" on top of that...no permit.
**A: then add into your purchase contract a clause that the purchase of the property is contingent upon the Seller applying for and receiving the building permit for the "florida room". Why hasn't your Realtor advised you accordingly?
Or maybe you do not have a Realtor.

HomeGuru

**A: then add into your purchase contract a clause that the purchase of the property is contingent upon the Seller applying for and receiving the building permit for the "florida room". Why hasn't your Realtor advised you accordingly?
Or maybe you do not have a Realtor.
Did you get your own home inspection? was the incomplete work noted in the inspection report? The Seller was required to disclose the unpermitted work. It is too risky to close and then deal with the problem.

xylene

There are many houses for sale in Florida.

Tell the sell to fix the issues or you walk away from even considering a contract.

"Floodgates" :rolleyes: seller can find a dolt to buy the house then. Not you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">